Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Labyrinth

I flowed at my body's edge
She said, like a snail drawn to salt mound
Daring to be vaporized

When the ether denied her
She made a pact with the bamboo trees
To sway strong in brilliant winds

I'm breaking, she said, seeking
Prudence distilled from time's crude counsel
A concentrated effort

To dam the raging within
She erected walls of frosted glass
And insulated passage

Lost in her cotton center
I am meandering through murmurs
of featureless flock, she said.


A poetry prompt from NaPoWriMo


The first line is from Octavio Paz's poem "Release":

Beneath the rain of drums
The flute's black stalk
Grew, withered, and sprouted again.
Things cast off from their names
I flowed
           At my body's edge
Among the unbound elements


4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this, imagery, language, all.
    Especially:
    "She made a pact with the bamboo trees
    To sway strong in brilliant winds

    I'm breaking, she said, seeking"

    Those lines will stick with me today. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you connected. Thank you for reading and commenting, De :)

      PS...I just popped over to your blog again this morning and absolutely love the 'not so still life'...I'm going to play with that soon. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous. Your blog bakground frames this beautifully. Well penned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! And I didn't even notice that til you pointed it out, ha, thanks :)

      Delete