Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Beware of octostarfish, great white eels, and mantajellyrays!

I had an embarrassing brain fart this week. One of my 6yr-old students walked up to me one morning waving a piece of paper very excitedly to show me her drawings. They were really good drawings of a bunch of fish and other sea animals. One of them was particularly good, and I pointed to it and was about to say what it was, but completely blanked…so I said "ooh this is a beautiful sea...uhhh"... "sea dragon!" (what?!) She gave me a really confused look, looked me square in the eyes and said matter-of-factly..."seahorse". How could I have blanked on seahorse??! What the hell is a sea dragon?! And my CHINESE student had to correct MY English. How embarrassing. I get the worst ESL teacher in the world award.

No comments:

Post a Comment