Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Made it to China

There's so much to write about in just the few days I've been in China, that I don't even know where to begin. I also feel like I haven't even fully absorbed and reflected on all of the things I experienced in Nepal. I'm sure the coming blog posts will be full of scatter-brained-ness and a mishmash of all kinds of nonsense. In the meantime while I try to compose some complete thoughts and sentences, I'll just paste something I wrote in an email to my mom about a couple of experiences in the last couple of days here in China. I really do love people so much...

"People here are so funny, I love it. I was leaving my apartment and this woman approached me all smiling and speaking chinese very quickly and excitedly, and making hand motions at me and then toward my apartment and then to herself and toward her apartment, and I figured out that she was telling me that we are neighbors. So then she hooked her arm through my arm like we were best friends, and we rode the elevator down together (I'm on the 3rd floor of my building) and she kept walking with me like that, arm in arm, just smiling and smiling until we had to part ways hehe. So cute.

Then last night I was leaving this little market by my place after picking up some air fresheners (cuz everything is so musty smelling in my place because it's so wet and moldy all of the time) and as I was walking out of the market, this older man was walking in, and as soon as we made eye contact he smiled super big and his eyes got all big and he yelled right in my face "HELLO!" and gave me a big thumbs up. It was hilarious! He must have been so excited to practice his only English word. That's exactly how I feel when I get to practice my chinese on people. I must look just like him...all crazed and maniacal, yelling broken mandarin at innocent people."