Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lady and the Tramp

I've been reading Lady and the Tramp to my 6-yr-old class, and it's proving a little difficult. I read the story, and the Chinese teacher translates everything as I'm reading so the kids can understand the story. The first problem came when I had to describe the title itself. The Chinese teacher wasn't quite sure how to translate "Tramp" and so we just sort of looked at each other with deer-in-the-headlights looks going "uhhh" while the whole class stared, waiting. So I quickly said "ok, just tell them it means "house dog and the street dog" because she also wasn't quite sure how to translate "purebred" and "mutt". Then when I got to the siamese cats part of the story, I totally freaked the class out by singing the "We are siamese if you please...we are siamese if you don't please" ::ba dum bum bum:: Their jaws were pretty much on the floor, with a hint of confused terror in their eyes. Then today we got to the part where Tramp takes Lady to the Italian restaurant, and so of course I had to speak Tony's lines with a thick Italian kind of sing-songy accent, which kind of freaked them out again. I think from now on I'll stick to Curious George or Berenstain Bears.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps if you can track down the DVD it will all make sense to them

    ReplyDelete