Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Chinese Rubik's Cube

My little 6-yr-old students have been bringing their Rubik's Cubes to school, and amazing me with how quickly they are solving them!

My friend Richard, a super-genius Rubik's Cube solver, got me interested in them about five years ago, and I haven't had the chance to play with one in awhile.

Yesterday while out shopping, I stumbled across the Chinese version of the Rubik's Cube at the supermarket and just had to get it. The Rubik's Cube here in China is called 魔方 (mó fāng) or Magic Cube, and they have different designs. I chose the shark.

I solved it this morning and took this photo for my friend Jen to show her the sheer excitement. (I ended up having to cheat and reference a few of the algorithms on this site but it did nothing to diminish the excitement and pure joy of lining up all the colors, woo! I love being 6 years old.)



(And I can't wait to go to school and challenge them to a Magic Cube contest. Watch out, kindergarteners.)

No comments:

Post a Comment