Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Serve me up, piece by piece


serve me up, piece by piece
what good am I to myself

take my hand and write the words that will untether hearts and minds

take my feet and lead the refugees out of war, furthermore
take my arms, open them

take my shoulders and lift the young women above the oppression experienced by their mothers and grandmothers

take my head and place it on a lunch tray because it is of no use to me
as it has not commanded my hand, my feet, my arms, my shoulders
to do what needs to be done

serve me up, piece by piece


A prompt from imaginary garden with real toads

3 comments:

  1. Such an interesting response to the photo! This is really thought-provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stanza hits me so hard, because of my mother's strokes:

    "take my head and place it on a lunch tray because it is of no use to me
    as it has not commanded my hand, my feet, my arms, my shoulders
    to do what needs to be done"

    This is exactly what she's been going through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting take on the prompt. My favorite line-'take my hand and write the words that will untether hearts and minds'

    ReplyDelete