Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Because I couldn't march

I think some women realize that something isn’t right with the world. 
I think some women realize that we’ve made progress.
I think some women never knew otherwise.
I think some women feel all of these things and become confused.
I think some women feel all of these things and become angry.
I think some women feel all of these things and become enlightened.
I dress up in suits and meet with gentlemen CEOs and CFOs and all those titles
that command respect for their position and their ability to inspire fear in those below
And sometimes I feel like they view me as an equal
And I become positive and hopeful and it allows me to focus on bigger things like how to make the world a better place with my efforts and abilities
And then I see how they look below my eyes to that place that reminds me I am not equal
I am something less than
I am an object
I am something not to be taken seriously
Or they call me honey
Or they say something that implies I must seek approval of my male counterpart 
To justify my existence
I must justify my existence
They must justify my existence
And the good people of the world think I must be crazy to think and say these things
To bring light to these things that are said
To bring light to these things that do happen
Because surely in our just version of this world these things are not happening
These things are of the stone ages
These things are exaggerations
And I feel shame
And I feel sadness
And I feel impotence
And I feel apathy
From others and from myself
But mostly from myself
And that feeds my shame
And it feeds my anger
And it feeds my hatred
And it makes me think of them as objects
And it makes me one of them
And it makes me no better than them.
Despite all of this
I am hopeful.
These backward things drift away with the ages.
The sadness I feel is that I will drift away along with it.
I will not be around to see how young men grow into decent men
who look women in their eyes.
Who look women in their eyes.
Who look women in their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment